Five friends (four cops and a construction worker) in a small town ceremoniously commit to being better family men after the 9-year-old daughter of one of the men dies in an auto accident. Along the way:
- Adam (Alex Kendrick): after the death of his daughter resolves to grow closer to his teenage son, who is training for a 10k run (Adam joins in the training, which the son has been hoping for). He and his wife are close even though grieving.
- Shane (Kevin Downes): is divorced and sees his child only on weekends but commits to being a better father. He does well at first but begins skimming drugs from the evidence room to sell for himself. He is discovered and turned in by his partners, who remind him that they all agreed to hold one another accountable to high standards in all aspects of life. Adam visits Shane in jail and says their friendship will endure despite the mistakes he has made.
- Nathan (Ken Bevel): gets carjacked shortly after moving back to his original hometown. Nathan's teenage daughter wants to date a boy who she is unaware has just been initiated into the carjacker/drug dealer's gang. The hopeful-boyfriend saves Nathan's life by jostling a shotgun the gang leader is about to fire at Nathan and his partner David during a traffic stop. Nathan is shown visiting the young man in jail later. He also has a few younger children and a close marriage.
- David (Ben Davies): the only bachelor, admits late in the movie that as a young jock he fathered a child with a cheerleader, and has never supported her. He writes a letter to the child's mother explaining the changes in his life, asking forgiveness for his neglect, and beginning to send support for his now 4-year-old daughter. He asks that she will allow him to meet his daughter soon.
- Javier (Robert Amaya): takes a job building a shed for Adam through a humorous case of mistaken identity, but the situation ends well for all and the men become friends. After Javier finds a permanent factory job, he is offered a promotion to inventory control; he is asked by the owner of the company to monitor an incoming shipment and mark the manifest for 1 less crate than is actually received. Javier is told that his job and his promotion depend on him following orders. After thinking it over, Javier tells the owner that lying on a manifest would dishonor his God and his family. The owner promotes him on the spot and says that after making the same offer to several other people, Javier is the first to do the right thing. He and his wife have two children and close marriage.
The movie ends with Adam guest-speaking at a Christian church, encouraging men to commit to growing strong, close families.