Eleven people are put in a military compound as the 'chosen ones' designated to survive a now-happening nuclear war.
- There is no nuclear war, and this is really a controlled experiment to see if people can co-habitate with each other.
- Right next door are thousands of vampire bats, who are trapped in the compound and see the humans as an new 11-course dinner meal.
The survivors wind up opening an emergency exit hatch,which allows the bats to escape the compound and the military to save the 5 remaining humans: Major Gordon Ellis (Richard Jaeckel), Carrie Draper (Gwenn Mitchell), Steven Mayes (Alex Cord), Alana Fitzgerald (Diana Muldaur) and Ray Couzins (Jackie Cooper).
- Luis Cabral - When Ray Couzins inadvertently lets in the first swarm of bats, he locks the bats in the technology room and runs into Luis, telling him not to go near the door. Luis ignores him and turns into the first main course.
- Kristen Lerner - She is attacked first, but gets saved and given a sedative. While the rest of the group applaud electrocuting a horde of bats near the passageway Couzins found, they didn't realize there would be more than one passageway - specifically connecting to the room the sleeping Lerner was in, Hence, she becomes a human milkshake.
- Woody Russo - Olympian Vs. Escape hatch button perched on the top of a 1,700 foot shaft: Olympian wins! Yay! Olympian Vs. Face-munching Bat: Bat wins. Boo! Falling Olympian Vs. 1,700 foot shaft. Shaft wins. Awww. Sets a new record for human high drop.
- Dr Lenore Chrisman - She's good friends with Woody, but clearly didn't have the same olympic skills, such as the 7 second run to not get trapped by a sliding glass door. Grounded into bat kibble.
- Claire Farraday - Also a loser in the survival of the fittest running faster than a sliding glass door race. Purina Bat Chow. Chow Chow, Chow!
- Dr. Peter Macomber - The one person in the group that knew this was a set up from the get go. The villain turns into a hero by rushing back into the glass door room to save Ellis and Fitzgerald at the cost of his own life. Aww, what a nice heroic-now dead villain.