After all hell breaks loose, the only ones left alive are reporter Angela (Manuela Velasco) and her cameraman, Pablo (never seen but voiced by Pep Sais).
They manage to take refuge in supposed abandoned penthouse apartment... only to discover that the apartment is where the source of the virus came from (A girl believed to be possessed was studied in this room and the conclusion was that it was a new strain of virus).
The light for the camera is broken when Pablo uses it to scout a crawlspace in the ceiling, only to discover one of the creatures hiding up in it.
Using only the nightvision, both Pablo and Angela discover the girl was was the original source of the infection is still in the apartment. Before they can flee blindly through the darkened apartment, Pablo is killed and drops the camera. Stumbling to escape, Angela grabs the camera and flees, only to trip and fall in the hallway outside the apartment. Through the lens of the camera, you see Angela get dragged back into the pitch black apartment and is presumably killed.
Order of Deaths:
Most of these people who are infected are not killed after becoming infected. It is assumed that all those in the building are fatally infected except for Pablo and Ángela.
- Police officer - His throat is ripped out by an infected old woman named Izquierdo while responding to her distress call. He later becomes one of the infected.
- Álex - He is thrown off the spiral staircase (presumably by Izquierdo) and falls hard against the floor. It is later revealed he was also infected.
- Unnamed neighbor - Apparently bit by the old woman and bleeds out. Her body is later found missing and she is presumed infected.
- Guillem - While trying to treat the police officer and Álex, the infection manifests and they chomp down on him. He becomes infected.
- Jennifer's Mother - When Jennifer's infection manifests, Jennifer bites her in the face. The survivors handcuff her to the staircase and lose the keys. When the infected Guillem escapes, he eats her alive.
- Jennifer - Although her mom claims she suffers from tonsillitis, she has actually been bitten and is infected. Intimated that Sergio shoots her after she bites him.
- Sergio - He is bitten while trying to inject Jennifer with a sedative. He tells the others to run and it is intimated that he shoots himself and Jennifer.
- Izguierdo - Having survived a shooting and bludgeoning at the hands of the police and firemen, Manu finally kills her with a hammer to the head.
- Health Inspector - He is bitten and fatally infected while fleeing from Izguierdo.
- Building Manager - Stands too close to the door containing the infected Health Inspector who proceeds to bite the manager's scalp off. Manu snaps the infected manager's neck.
- Asian woman - Though her death is not shown, she attacks Manu, Pablo and Ángela while infected.
- Manu - He is last seen alive struggling with the infected Asian woman and yelling at Pablo and Ángela to flee. He is later seen as one of the infected that pursues the pair to the penthouse.
- Pablo - He is attacked by the possessed patient zero (named Medeiros) and bludgeoned to death.
Though the film ends with Ángela being dragged into the darkness by Medeiros, it is revealed in Rec 2 that she was not killed.